FREE SCHOOL MEALS
If you are the parent, foster parent, network family carer or guardian of children at school, and you are on a low income, you could be entitled to free school meals.
Young people, who are still at school but receive income support in their own right, can also receive free school meals.
Your children are entitled to free school meals if you receive:
– Income Support, or
– income-based Job Seeker’s Allowance, or
– income-related Employment and Support Allowance, or
– the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
– Universal Credit, if you apply on or after 1 April 2018 your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get)
– support under part V1 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999, or
– Child Tax Credit, if you have an annual taxable income (as assessed by H M Revenue and Customs) which does not exceed £16,190
– if your child is eligible for free school meals, they’ll continue to receive them until they move to a new stage of school, such as from primary into secondary school
If you’re on any of the above benefits, it’s still important to register for a free school meal to ensure your child’s school doesn’t miss out on funding call pupil premium.
Please note, if you are entitled to Working Tax Credit you do not qualify for free school meals unless:
– your child is in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2, or
– you are receiving Working Tax Credit Run-on. This is paid for 4 weeks after your employment ends or your hours reduce to under 16 hours per week.
To claim free school meals
If you live in Leeds and you already receive Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support send your form to the address below, alternatively enquire in school.
If you live in Leeds and you do not already receive Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support you will need to complete an online form:
If you only want to claim for free school meals and your child attends a school in Leeds, use the free school meals claim form:
When completing the form, only list those children who attend school within Leeds.
Where do I send my form?
You can hand your signed and completed form in at any One Stop Centre or local housing office, or post it to:
Welfare and Benefits
P.O. BOX 60
2 Great George Street
Leeds, LS2 8JR
You can also contact Leeds Welfare and Benefits Service on 0113 222 4404.
Click here for more details from the Leeds.gov.uk website.